Two spays and a neuter

Yesterday was extremely busy for the General Surgery rotation since it was shelter animal day! We had 10 dogs and 7 cats brought in for us to spay and neuter prior to their adoptions.

I was assigned a cat to spay, a dog to spay and a cat to neuter. We pre-meded the first round of kids at about 8:30am. Three of us would do our surgeries while the other three ran anesthesia, and then we would switch. My first kitty was gorgeous and super sweet:



Induction went fine, with only a slight delay while we struggled to get her intubated (our endotracheal tube was too large). We rolled into surgery and I got started!

I became suspicious in the prep room prior to surgery that our kitty (I will call her Matilda) had some stowaways in her belly. When I clipped her tummy I had noticed that her teats were more developed that expected, and she had kind of a poochy belly. When I opened her up and pushed her giant bladder out of the way, her right uterine horn popped right out at me. As I pulled it out of her abdomen, four or five walnut sized lumps were present on the right horn. Another three were on the left horn. She was pregnant. Fortunately she wasn’t very far along, so removing the tract was not a problem. Sad for the babies though :(

Here’s her belly post-op:



We tattoo all of the shelter animals with the male or female symbol and a slash through it. This is so future veterinarians seeing these pets will know that they are spayed or neutered.

My second patient was this incredibly hyperactive little pit bull terrier mix.


The only still photo I got of her was while she was eating. Most of them looked like this:


Her spay was totally routine (she was a young dog) and had no complications. By this time it was about 1pm and we were all getting pretty hungry. Thankfully I only had a cat neuter left, and they go really quickly.

My second kitty was an adult tomcat.


I hadn’t neutered a cat before, but they’re super simple and our clinician taught me in about 5 seconds. I don’t know why neutering animals is so satisfying, but it totally is. I also think neutering is one of the few things I learned to do on this rotation that will be useful to me in the field. I’m sure I’ll see my fair share of barn cats that need neutering.

We had our tomcat off the table and back in recovery within 15 minutes.

We stayed scrubbed in while we were in between surgeries, so we were pretty much stuck in the surgery suite until all of my surgeries were done. Then the plan was to take a super quick lunch break. I ran and grabbed my Luna bar and snarfed it as quickly as I could. Then I headed back in to anesthetize all of my classmate’s surgery patients. She had a dog spay and a dog neuter, and they went fairly quickly.

We finished up at about 6:30pm and I ran out to dinner with my boyfriend since he was in town. I had to be back at 9pm to recheck our surgery patients and give them their dinners. All of our patients looked good, so I headed back home and tried to get some sleep. It was a very long day!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s