Our first day at Yosemite

Okay, so I might have lied about starting the story, because I uploaded our photos last night and found some that I had forgotten.

Here are the last few photos taken while we were driving to Yosemite. The first is probably one of my favorites from the whole trip, taken near the Utah/Nevada state line.


These next three were taken on Monday morning as we were driving into the park. Check out that snow!




We started our hike on the main trail heading towards Little Yosemite Valley. This is the backpackers camp approximately 4.5 miles from the trailhead. Since we had spent the early morning hours driving, we planned a relatively short, “easy” hike for our first afternoon. Little did we know what lay in store for us.


So foolish and naive ;)


The Mist Trail took us to the top of Vernal Falls (pictured above). The trail is about 1.5 miles, and has an extremely steep ascent.


Here’s a picture from the top. See the little path running on the left hand side of the falls? That’s the path we climbed. It’s literally just a series of rough rocky “steps” leading to the top of the falls, and you’re being sprayed with water the whole time (hence the name Mist Trail). It was an experience, and I definitely did not look forward to heading back down that treacherous path.

Here’s another view of the path to the top:


We rested at Vernal Falls and had our first snack break, and then we got back on the trail to head to our campsite. We were both pretty beat after just the 2.5 mile hike, leading us to the conclusion that a) we are both extremely out of shape and b) we are joining a gym immediately upon our move to Kentucky.

Another picture of me at the top of the falls, about to head into the real wilderness:


We finished our hike to Little Yosemite Valley by about 3pm on Monday afternoon. Along the way we met some furry, scaly and feathered friends.




The deer were amazingly brave at the park, we literally walked within feet of some before they even deigned to look concerned. Even then they didn’t run away, simply moved a little farther from the path where we were walking.

After setting up our tent we made a quick dinner, packed the food in the bear box and headed to bed. It had been a long day and we were exhausted.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s