A Fresh Start?

The HITS horse show in Thermal is officially over, and I’m already sad to leave all of our new friends and this fabulous weather!


Monday morning we were up bright and early to pack up the clinic and shove everything into my car. It is packed to the ceiling in the back seat, there is stuff in my front seat, and there are bags wedged in the back behind the vet box. For some reason our secretary had decided that she wanted me to take all of her luggage back, but I told her it was impossible given the state of my car. There is barely room for me, let alone a giant wheelie bag BIGGER than me!

Monday evening I caught a plane heading to Northern California for my first-ever official job interview.

I was so incredibly nervous! When I was applying for my internship I visited practices as an extern, which is technically an interview, but doesn’t really feel like one. On an externship you spend two weeks at a practice, and there’s no formal questioning process. You just kind of hang out.

Needless to say, I didn’t really know what to expect. I picked up my sweet rental car, checked into my hotel, got in a quick run on the treadmill at the hotel’s “fitness center” (I use that term VERY loosely), and went to bed early.

(The Thin Mint.)

Tuesday morning I got dressed for my interview in the only halfway decent clothes I brought with me to Thermal. I texted pictures to my fiancé all morning, worried that I wasn’t appropriately dressed.


And yes, those are khakis. My technician friend at home didn’t believe me so I had to take a close up for her:


The traffic to the clinic was horrendous. I was sweating because I thought I was going to be extremely late. I arrived at 9:15, which was 15 minutes later than I had planned but turned out to be fine. I met the office staff and then spent the morning riding around with the owner of the practice (who I had previously met in Thermal). We met up with his associate around lunch time, and she and I spent the afternoon together at her appointments.

We met up again at the clinic after work and headed out to dinner, where the real interview started. They grilled me about all kinds of things, and I tried to be as open and honest with them as I could. It was pretty stressful, and I don’t really have a sense of whether it went well or not. I plan to send a thank you when I get home and then follow up if I haven’t heard anything in a week or two.

Right now I’m sitting in the airport, waiting for my flight back to Thermal to pick up my car and hit the road. I’ve got a 20 hour drive to make it to Dallas, where I’m stopping for two days to do wedding stuff and hopefully get in another mini-interview at a clinic there. From Dallas it’s back to Lexington on Sunday, and then I start my second medicine rotation on Monday. Hopefully it goes as well as the first, we’ll see.

Other things on my mind right now…
– Finding other good places to interview (I’ve never been an eggs-in-one-basket kind of girl).
– Figuring out how much I need to make, because that’s an easier question than figuring out how much I’m worth.
– Finding a job for my fiancé where he will be happy and fulfilled.

Everything’s up in the air right now, which makes a crazy planner like me a little bit nuts. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s